Dumpbin - Checking Your Application Compiled Platform (x86 vs x64)

dumpbin is a program in Visual Studio Tools that helps you to display information in binary file. I find it useful to check whether a dll is build for x86 or x64.

Corflags is good for checking .exe, and soon, you will realize that it is not effective on checking dll files. Especially for unmanaged dll, you will see this error message

corflags : error CF008 : The specified file does not have a valid managed header
A better way is to use dumpbin with /headers options.

1. Go to start menu, find your VS2010 application folder

2. In Visual Studio Tools, click on Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)

3. A command prompt environment will be load.

4. Navigate to your assembly location. Type, dumpbin /headers your_assembly.dll. It will display the following for x86 dll and x64 dll respectively. See the highlighted areas


Comments

  1. I am new to linux platform.I worked on windows for years.So if I feel any problem then I need to search over internet.But there are a lot of posts that help me.So it makes easy.Thanks to people like you for helping free.
    electronic signature for sharepoint

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels good that my post help you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts