SmartGWT vs GXT
Ever since ExtJs changed the licensing model, GWT-Ext is considerably "dead". SmartGWT is the upcoming replacement for it.
When comparing to GXT, SmartGWT does have a "laggy" feeling when using the loaded application. The arguement is SmartGWT is a wrapper around SmartClient Ajax API while GXT provide pure Java code pruning.
- Only thing I am impressed about SmartGWT is their data binding and RestDataSource feature
- LGPL license => free.
- Rich UI featureset => very much like the old GXT.
- SmartGWT is JSNI wrap around GWT + SmartClient to create SmartGWT => slow
- GXT data binding is kind of similar to the old GWT-EXT.
- GXT is pure GWT implementation => Fast, code pruning, custom js build
- GXT 2.0 is coming out next week. They declare that 2.0 has flash chart API. WebDesktop and Flash Chart are what SmartGWT lack of.
- It will cost some $$$ to get the developer licenses
There is not hard and fast rule on who is better. SmartGWT is a UI winner while GXT is a application loading winner.
I observed that SmartGWT codes are hosted at Google Code. I am very concern about SmartGWT user support if Sanjiv Jivan decides to switch again....